Strategic Planning Case Study
A medium sized family manufacturing business in the consumer products space, experiencing plateaued growth over the last 5-7 years, expresses the desire to have outside guidance in developing a more robust strategy and planning process.
CircleMakers™ was hired by the Chief Executive Officer and President to guide the executive leadership team through the development of a multi-year growth strategy as well as crafting a strategic plan that drives strong execution. Our work included, but not limited to the following:
- Facilitation of the annual strategic planning, internal ideation sessions and formal output debriefs with recommendations
- Individual executive and senior management level strategic advisory sessions to guide through development of strategic plan components
- Extensive body of research to identify and recommend growth options within the market expansion strategy
- Development of the plan communication and cascade from executive to front line level
- Led to the development of inspirational vision and purpose to establish stronger engagement of workforce
- A repeatable, strategic planning process that can be leveraged into future years
- Operationalization of plan through software integration as well as monthly/quarterly executive sessions
- Refined organizational structure to align to strategic direction of organization resulting in accelerated delivery of results.
Market Expansion Case Study
A large, private-equity backed client in the residential home products space expressed the desire to explore possible expansion to new markets.
CircleMakers™ was hired by the Chief Financial Officer to work with the executive team in defining the right markets, capabilities required, and the overall go-to-market strategy. Our work included, but not limited to the following:
- Performed the market research, analysis and readout on possible market opportunities for the expansion strategy
- Delivered a capability gaps analysis to identify areas of development required to win share in the new market
- Designed the overall strategy, structure and tactical strategic roadmap to advance the expansion from test through scale
- Led initial business development work to drive lead generation and traction
- A newly formed business unit and brand to access significant share in a $3 billion dollar market
- Presence at a top industry trade show as part of comprehensive launch plan, resulting in hundreds of leads
- Established a project pipeline worth $10 million dollars in the initial 12 months
- A growth-oriented workplace and culture primed to attract top talent.
Acquisition Case Study
As part of a larger strategic planning and subsequent market expansion project, two organizations required assistance in evaluating acquisition a possible strategy for growth. Company A, a leader in the home products space, needed to obtain specific service capabilities and talent needed to access a new market. Company B, a family-business, needed to obtain manufacturing, product and distribution capabilities to support expansion to a fast-growing market.
CircleMakers™ was hired by the President and CFO to work with the executive team in defining the strategic criteria for target acquisition scouting. Our work included, but not limited to the following:
- Development of specific acquisition criteria in support of overall strategic objectives
- Performed comprehensive, market-based research and search to identify possible acquisition targets
- Conduct specific target research and extensive debrief sessions with executive teams to outline go-forward options
The options for acquisition in both cases present strong strategic benefits:
- New capabilities (facilities, manufacturing, products, and services) required to win in target markets and geography
- A non-redundant, capability-rich talent pool that can be leveraged into the future
- Access to new segments or points of distribution that present opportunity for acquirer’s current products and services
- Established ‘leapfrog presence’ in an attractive markets
- Company A to realize top-line revenue growth of $40 million
- Company B to realize top-line revenue growth of $10 million.
Customer Development Case Study
A building products organization that sells through a large, fast-growing and fragmented B2B channel expressed desire to better organize, understand and strengthen their relationships with this important customer group.
CircleMakers™ was hired by the Executive Vice President to design and implement a comprehensive customer development and loyalty strategy. Our work included, but not limited to the following:
- Segmentation of customer base, definition of growth strategy as well as formal recommendation of loyalty program options
- Extensive stakeholder and market-level research to define best-in-class loyalty programs
- Designed and deployed a B2B points-based loyalty rewards platform tied to incremental growth
- Development, management and delivery of a value-added customer education and development platform
- A loyalty platform that provides data and insight into this particular client's most important customer segment
- A platform that provides the client with the tools to influence purchase behaviors and build loyal relationships
- Increased market share with current customers and incremental growth from inactive or new customers
- Initial revenue growth of 20%
Performance Development Case Study
A $25 million dollar service organization that goes to market through a large, national sales force is facing intense competition, eroding market share and inconsistent revenue performance.
CircleMakers™ was hired to work with the Chief Operating Officer and executive sales team to evaluate, develop and assist in activating a strategy to enhance the performance of the national sales organization. Our work included, but not limited to the following:
- Development of a complete performance development system to align-with and support the strategic direction
- Recommended sales organization structure adjustments to reduce friction
- Through training workshops, implement a needs-based sales process for the organization to strengthen customer relationships (building integration with salesforce.com) and reinforce their premium positioning in the market
- Through training workshops, implement a coaching system and development process for sales leadership as they seek to develop a pipeline of new leaders
- A transformed sales culture from ‘transactional-focused’ to value-added ‘customer-focused’ partnerships
- Increased number of sales performers meeting / exceeding quota
- Identification of 4 high potential performers with leadership capacity for additional development
- Increased client acquisition and retention
- Increased confidence in the sales leadership team to lead productive coaching sessions, tied to performance